Thursday, November 15, 2007

The LOA at Work

One year ago almost to the day I hit rock bottom. I hated my job, had just been dumped by my boyfriend (for seemingly no reason, though it's crystal clear to me today), was in near financial ruin (condo close to foreclosure, car re-possessed, not a dime for food), felt like the world was out to get me, and that no-one cared if I lived or died. I got so deep down that I had custody papers drafted and was going to give custody of my child to my parents and drive until I couldn't drive anymore. I couldn't because I was paralyzed and had come down with a "mystery" illness that had me bed-ridden.

I begged the cosmos for a break. I need money! I need love! I need relief! Down on my hands and knees and begged for relief. "I'm a good person, I don't deserve this", I said to no-one.

After begging provided me with no results, I thought I'd try something different. "Hey!" I thought to myself "Let's think about HOW we got here and HOW we can fix it". So I took responsibility for the finances first. My living beyond my means got me there. I had totally underestimated how much homeownership cost. How could I fix that? I didn't have a clue, but what I did do is look up to the cosmos and simply asked "I need some ideas on how to attract money into my life". Simple, no begging, no dwelling on the debt (I had enough of that, I certainly didn't need any more).

A few weeks later I got a call from the bank. You know, that annual "Can we sell you RRSP's?" call. I had just returned from my mother's house where I basically was freaking out about my money situation because it had taken a turn for the worst (I wasn't going to make my mortgage payment). Anyway, irritated I explained to the bank person that I had RRSP's from payroll deduction, that it was already 10% of my income I couldn't afford and that I was frankly quite tired of anyone asking for more money I didn't have.

She of course wanted to end the conversation, but the consummate professional she was she said "Is there any other services the Big Blue Bank can offer to you at this time?" as her exit to end the conversation. I said "Yeah, you can give me $100,000". She said "Oh, I might be able to do that, do you own your own home?" I said I did (thinking "For the time being"). She asked me when I purchased, and I replied, "Right before the prices went completely bezerk, Dec 2005". She says "Ooooh, that's good". Anyway, she asked me some particulars about where I lived, how much I paid, the market value, etc. The long and the short of it is that at that time I had $100,000 in equity in my place (more now). I got a line of credit and "Presto" my financial problems were solved.

Of course I didn't connect the dots back then, but let's just say that I was mighty impressed with the cosmos at that moment.

Once the financial stress had been lifted, I suddenly started to FEEL better. Sure I had some of the same ole stresses ("Oh why doesn't he love me, he's an idiot, come back to me, etc", and the job still sucked).

I started to realize that the job market was very good and that I didn't need to be there. I didn't bail on the job sooner because I felt like I was committed to it in a few ways, and wanted to make sure that I had given it my best shot. I basically had one foot out the door in that I knew what was out there, and knew I could get another job (with more pay) in a matter of days or hours even. That gave me INSTANT relief. Fast forward two months beyond that -- upon requesting three weeks off in July-August to go on a camping trip meticulously planned (3 people's "dream" camping trip) I was refused. Irritated I walked back to my office and then a thought popped into my head "Hey, I don't NEED this job", so I walked back downstairs and said "I quit. I'm giving you three months' notice, but I quit".

Later on it dawned on me that between bonuses and the 6 weeks' vacation payout I wouldn't need to work the SUMMER. So I didn't. I took from June 15th to September 6th off. I was commended for my bravery, but the reality is that all it took was believing in myself, standing my ground, asking for what I wanted and GETTING IT.

The point of all of this is that had I continued to wallow in my grief, stress, lack, hate, etc I would have gotten more of the same. I would have probably had lost my condo, been fired from my job, lost custody of my kid through just being a miserable person unable to cope, and I would have had no joy or love in my life.

So things were going my way, but I still had a lot of stress, doubt and fear and just didn't want to feel like that anymore. I found a better way, and I can say I have almost no stress, certainly no doubts in myself, and virtually no fear. There is nothing I cannot do, cannot have or cannot experience.

I know now that what I did that late night back in November of 2006 is I simply asked, believed it was going to happen and I let it happen. It was not the first time (looking back) and is NOT the last time. It was the power of the Law of Attraction and it's present in my life every day.

No comments: